Friday, March 2, 2012

Task 4b – Special Interest Group


After thinking about the questions I have already posted, I feel that the one that is most important to me at this point in time is…


How do you go about getting and organizing auditions?
(The audition process)


There are lots of areas to look at within this topic and I also feel that my research into preparations for an audition could be beneficial to students who have not yet looked into auditioning and are very nervous about the matter.

I have been looking at some Blogs and so far I feel that I can relate to the following peoples SIG groups/finals questions… (Some SIG's are more vague than others in connection to my inquiry)


Jo Bradley – Professional training for children
I feel that children could benefit from learning how to audition for their future in dance.

Audition technique is an education that I feel the pre professional could take advantage of.

Alicia Beck – Budget cuts
When budgets are cut, there are less dance jobs, but what should those auditioning do to maintain there level of chance of getting that job.

Lisa Whyte – Setting up a company
Auditions would be a vital part to a companies set up, as without performers, there is no company to run.

Eithne Bryan – Getting jobs
Auditions are a vital part to getting jobs.

Hannah Kenneally-Muir – Bridging the gap between student and professional
When a dancer starts to audition they need to learn and understand how auditions work in order to succeed.  This is the step between being a student at a school and becoming a professional in a company.

I feel that I can mostly relate to Hannah Kenneally-Muir as she is looking how a dancer develops from a student to a professional.  This is where a student auditions to become a professional, and I would like to also look at this process.

If anyone else feels that we could be in the same SIG, please don't hesitate to contact me! =]

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jacob, I have removed myself from the SIG for Education. And have created a new SIG (from what my heart tells me) for Theatre Directing (which is where I really want to be). So my question to you is, is that how would our SIG's (if they were to be connected) be connected or what is your take?

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. A theatre director may be interested in hiring dancers, for this an audition is needed. Knowing what the director is looking for can aid the applicant. However, a theatre director tends to do more on advertising for theaters rather than the actual casting for the productions, as the productions are normally run by a theatre company (which is who the theatre director would be in contact with). Although our SIG's are linked, it is weak as it is not direct connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacob. Thanks for getting back to me. I am sorry for the late reply. You're right we are loosely connected. But from your pictures, if I was casting Dancers, Singers, Actors etc.. I'd definitely hire you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh Thank you!! Thats so kind! But one cant make a judgment until you have actually seen me dance! =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant teaching wise as I have no experience with Choreography. Sorry to have said the above loosely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jacob, this looks great, good SIG research!! I would love to expand on my section and say that 'Auditons are a vital part of getting jobs, but once you get to know and network with people within the performing arts industry that you don't necessarily have to keep auditioning for them. Gaining trust and respect from Directors and Dance Captains is a big part of becoming a well known performer!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacob,
    Your research in to your SIG looks really good. I like that you have looked at alternative ways to connect your inquiry to others, even if at first glance there may not seem to be a connection.
    I am looking at performance and choreography as my line of inquiry. One question that has come up is: is it the dancer that makes the choreography or the choreography that makes the dancer? I think this would link nicely in to a SIG. What do you think?
    Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel that I can relate to your line of inquiry. As the choreographer, you would be looking for specific dancers with ability and talent, but what exactly are you looking for. Choreography can be made to show off a dancers ability, or to tell a story. A dance can make ones choreography look incredible if they are a highly talented individual. It all comes down to choreographic demand, if a dancers is unable, then the choreography cannot be shows to its full potential.

    ReplyDelete