Monday, March 5, 2012

“Empowered Me” Launch Party

“First Friday” is a term given to a time of the month when art galleries open late for the public, to wonder around for a social night of culture.  I visited practiced dance photographer Brian Mengini’s launch of his new works, entitled “Empowered Me”.

“Empowered Me” is a range of works inspired by “Dancers Against Cancer” who has had an immense influence on Mr. Mengini.  His colection feature many notable dancers including Ballet Fleming's Jane Koorts (Professional Associate)Adrianna de Svastich, Holly Curran, Gina Battista and not to mention American Ballet Theatre’s Misty Copeland.

Photograph: Gina Battista taken by Brian Mengini

Brian Mengini’s work has featured in many notable publications including Pointe Magazine, Dance Magazine, Dancing Times (Great Britain) and many more.  He has also photographed many prominent dance companies, such as the Mariinsky Ballet (Kirov), The Royal Ballet, Boston Ballet, and Ballet Fleming to name a few.

Recently, Dance Spirit Magazine featured one of Mr. Mengini’s works from the Empowered Me collection.  The article, Dancers: The Best Models, depicts a photograph on Misty Copeland wearing a full length, free flowing, corral pink summer dress, shot by Brian Mengini.

Photograph: Misty Copeland taken by Brian Mengini

I was mightily impressed with Mr. Mengini’s work, and would love to be photographed by him myself!  His camera work highlights the beauty of dance through line and graceful poise.  I was overwhelmed with his Empowered Me collection, and look forward to seeing more of his work.

Photograph: Jane Koorts taken by Brian Mengini

3 comments:

  1. Dear Jacob,
    thank you for this blog and the inspiring pictures. An avid photographer myself frequently pointing a lens at my colleagues I am really inspired by Mr. Mengini´s work.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. just stumbled on this. Thank you, Jacob, and Fione as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! My sister is a fashion photographer and this year she has booked a very nice convention center for displaying her work. She has asked me to be her model for the next one. I am a big-time camera conscious person and I don’t know how will I be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete