Thursday, November 10, 2011

Web 2.0, Twitter and its Technologies

I'm new to Twitter but it has to be said, twitter really does get the wrong end of this stick.  I posted a comment, sarcastically mentioning plastic surgery, "OMG so much junk mail!! No, I do not want to give a gift of plastic surgery!! What does that say about your friends!! Honestly...".

Within five minutes I had a plastic surgeon following me, but what was even stranger is that the plastic surgeon is based in the city I am currently in.  How could they have got this information?  It couldn't be because of the other people following me are from that area, as there is no one from Florida following me yet.  My global position must have been tagged somewhere!

Also, a computer must have found the word surgery, and automatically started to follow me, thinking that I am interested or even a potential client.  This would be very clever had I been interested in reduced price "lipo", yet it is epically stupid when I'm being sarcastic.  It doesn't even shed a good light on surgery, and why would I even consider it!  Computers are not as clever as people think they are.  Plus, how rude would it be to give someone a "nose job" coupon for Christmas!

Further to this, stalkers and pedophiles could find victims quickly and easily using this technology, even pin pointing them to their exact location.  In fact, today I had someone start following me that I felt was highly inappropriate.  However saying this, had I been interested, it would have been an excellent way of networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment