Monday, November 14, 2011

Task 2d: Inquiry Task

So far on the BAPP course I have been writing ideas and questions in my journal about subject I feel would be interesting topics to research into.  Not only do I find these matters interesting, I feel that some of them are vital parts to being a dancer.

Why are there so many different techniques?  Also at what point do you introduce the artistry?  If there are so many opinions of technique, which one, if any, is/are correct?  I personally quite like some elements of the Vagonova technique (mainly taught in Russia) yet certain parts of the technique are not suitable such as the “snatch” of the foot to perform a pirouette, yet when performing in a ballet such as Swan Lake, you will need to roll through the foot.  In Cecchetti they refer to this a rolling through the foot as going though the “click".  Which technique is correct and why do they have different opinions?

Why is society ill educated when it comes knowledge of dance?  Someone who also shares this opinion is Emily Brenchley, noting that “some people don’t have enough knowledge of dance to be able to respect it”, in one of her blogs.

These are only a few of the many questions that I have been thinking about.  I am very interested in finding out the answers and discovering more about myself and dance.

1 comment:

  1. 'Why is society ill educated when it comes to knowledge of dance'...
    Jacob i agree with you and Emily,it could be because nowadays education {in the u.k} is so mainstream,academic stoning... {its the image that comes in mind.} Were not encouraged to be free with our thoughts, and the way we express ourselves physically our child like curiosity becomes dampened with the torrential facts, figures and theories..

    ReplyDelete