Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Task 2b: 'Journal Writing Experience'

After reading Kolb’s learning cycle, I realized that I use this theory quite a lot not only in everyday situations such as when going to a restaurant trying something new to see if you like it, and next time you will know weather or not to get it again or to suggest to a friend.

I have always referred to this theory as trial and error, as you don’t know if you will like the outcome until you have seen or tried it.  Only then you can make a clear judgment of the result.

A good example of this in my professional practice is when I was making a choreography.  The aim of the chorography was to explore partnering using two male partners and one female.  After getting some ideas together I taught the movement to a group of people and video recorded it.  At the time I liked the ideas behind the choreography, however after reviewing it back hot I realized that it doesn’t really work well with the music.  I then decided to change the choreography, but as I liked the movement I rearranged the choreography so that it was in a different section of the music.  This worked well and I liked the outcome and it was the right decision.

However, had I not liked the outcome I would probably had to have scraped the idea and start from scratch.  Although I would have “scraped” the idea, I would have saved the idea for another chorography and used it where I believe was appropriate.

We use Kolb’s learning cycle all the time without even realizing it form what fabric softener you use (trying them until you find one you really like) to what color you paint your living room.  We learn from trial and error, but we also learn more and more about ourselves in these decisions, allowing us to become better practitioners.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jacob,
    I agree with your thoughts that we use kolb's cycle not only in our professional life’s but personal too. Having that time to sit and reflect is important to improve ourselves. However I do think research is a key to improvement asking others for their opinions as i feel sometimes as dancer/teacher we can be very critical. Do you discuss the dance with other teachers to get their views?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle,
    And yes, I completely agree that dancers are extremely critical of themselves and others, but knowing they others are judging you, forces you to be even more critical of yourself. It's a vicious circle. But as dancers, all we do is aim for perfection even if perfection is impossible! By asking others their opinions we are able to understand what a others or even a non-dancer can see, allowing the work to develop to a greater level. This is another really good way to analyze your work, as we do get a little obsessed! Thank you for your views Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob - like this thinking through - it is a bit awkward fitting the learning theories at first - but they do operate - What kind of learner do you think you are - i.e. Honey and Mumford?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both Honey and Mumford and Kolb's theories are very similar. However, I find Honey and Mumford's theory easier to understand, I see it as a more simple cycle, but Kolb's theory is much more in depth.
    I feel that when I learn, I like to review what has happened and put a new plan in place to try something new, very much like Honey and Mumford's theory. Yet I also think as a dancer that I am very visual and if I can see a step being demonstrated first, I gain a greater understanding of it.

    ReplyDelete