Sunday, May 13, 2012

Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry


Module 2 has shown me that I can confidently work independently, but am equally as comfortable working in a group situation.   I have learned the benefits of receiving the comments of others and the skill of commenting on other peoples work in the form of constructive criticism (Appendix A). 

The large number of questions I had originally (Appendix B) had, after careful consideration, been reduced and condensed, so that now I have one aim and that will be used for my Professional Inquiry.  A Special Interest Group (Appendix C) was set up, yet I feel the subject I am researching is a little more diverse and not as many people in my year group are interested in the technique and injury side of dance.  Professional Associate Jane Koorts (Appendix D) agreed to help me with the BAPP course and has been allowing me to observe and interview her, as part of my pilot.

The freedom of choosing your own Award Title (Appendix E) has given me a lot of independence; a large amount of thought has gone into considering the wording of the award title.  I have finally settled on:
BA (Hons) Professional Practice in Classical Dance Technical Excellence with Performance Innovation.

I have reviewed what I thought of ethics (Appendix F) and what written legislation (Appendix G) tells us about ethics in the work place.  This was a big eye opener as what I had always considered to be simply good manors were actually a code of conduct, and a requirement.  However, I was shocked at some of my findings, such as being unable to give gifts to your teacher.

I have also learned to use different inquiry tools (Appendix H) i.e. Interview, group discussion, survey and observation.  From piloting these tools, I have discovered which ones are most useful and effective.  I quite enjoyed the observation, as it allows you to see first hand how something is done.  It also leaves very little room for error, as in an interview, the person could lie or give incorrect information in error.

It was interesting to learn about ethical and confidentiality issues (Appendix I), concerning information gathered by the inquiry tools, for the project.  It is important to make sure no private information is revealed and that you have the full permission from the person/people who have been involved.  They need to understand what and how the information will be used.

Pieces of literature have been discovered that I find absolutely fascinating, such as Task 6c (Appendix J), which is conclusive evidence that dancers need more protection in their careers.

In all, the information I have learned from this module has been very beneficial.  I feel it has made me a more considerate person and an improved dancer.  I am eager to use some of these new skills and to put them to the test in my Professional Inquiry.












No comments:

Post a Comment